Blogging is a cheap, easy way to get — and keep — your brand name in front of prospects and customers. When done well, a company blog helps build credibility, elicit helpful feedback, and generate sales leads.
Here are some tips for using your blog to boost your visibility and bring in new business.
- Post new content frequently. Once you start blogging, it’s important to maintain a steady pace of posting new information. Most experts recommend offering something new at least once, if not two or three times, per week. The goal is to give people a reason to keep coming back to your blog and/or to add your content to their RSS or email feeds. Frequent updates will also help your company rank higher in search engine results.
- Blog at your domain name. Use your company’s URL in your blog’s address, such as “www.companydomainname.com/blog” or “blog.companydomainname.com.” This guarantees that internet search engines will index your blog content as part of your website instead of as a separate entity, resulting in a higher overall ranking and greater visibility.
- Let your personality shine through. Consciously develop a “voice” for your blog that reflects your personality, your values, and your approach to doing business. If you need guidance or inspiration, browse the web for other blogs in your niche. Consider what you like and don’t like about each one, then try to emulate your favorite elements as you write your own posts. You could also hire a professional writer to help you generate ideas and either create original posts or hone your drafts.
- Include links in each post. Leverage the power of the internet by adding relevant links to every blog post. Link to pages within your own website, as well as to interesting and useful external resources that your customers may appreciate, such as informative magazine articles. Links help increase your audience’s size and loyalty — and can also boost your search engine rankings.
- Promote your blog widely. Make your blog more visible to prospects and customers by putting a link to it in every email you send. Tout your blog on your company’s website and in all of your social media profiles. When you comment on other people’s content, provide a link to your blog. List your blog with directories like BlogCatalog andTechnorati, too.
- Repurpose your content. Once you’ve written something for your blog, don’t let it molder. If you post frequently, you’ll build up a large amount of content fairly quickly. Repurpose this material as articles on your website, as guest posts, as one or more e-books, or as a series of free reports or white papers.